North-West Province was formerly part of the Transvaal (now called Gauteng). North-West Province borders Botswana, Limpopo Province, Gauteng, the Free State, and Northern Cape.
The province is largerly covered by Bushveld and the total area is about 116 000 sq km. At the north of North West lies the Pilanesberg National Park, the oldest and largest of North-West Province’s conservation areas. The park lies within an extinct volcanic crater. Wildlife can be found in abundance there. Magaliesburg Mountain Range extends for approximately 100km and can be found between Rustenburg and Pretoria
Temperatures range from 19° to 33° C in summer and from 4° to 20° C in winter. Rainfall occurs during summer season.
The main source of the economy in North West is mining. The main attractions in North West include the following:
* Pilansberg National Park - Great game viewing experience. You can view the Big Five.
* Sun City & Lost City - Hotel and Resort complex offering a casino as well as lots of family activities.
* Hartbeespoort Dam - From boating to hot air ballooning, you will find it all here.
* Vredefort Dome - was created by a massive meteorite which struck the earth and is considerd to be the largest & oldest clearly visible impact structure on earth.
* Taung Heritage Site - The site where a discovery of a fossilised skull of a child, which scientist believe to be the origin of early man was initiated on the African continent.